Some numbers about dementia
- Approximately 55 million people worldwide are living with dementia, and this number is projected to increase due to ageing populations and improved diagnosis.
- By 2030, it’s anticipated that the number of people living with dementia will reach 82 million and by 2050, this number could rise to 153 million.
- Around 70% of caregivers for people with dementia are women
- The global cost of dementia care is estimated to be around $1.3 trillion annually. This includes medical expenses, caregiving costs, and lost productivity.
- In 2019, Alzheimer’s disease and other form of dementia is the 7th leading cause of death in the world.